Part 2 Advanced Driving Test
Posted in: Driving Instructor Training.
The driving instructor practical test of driving ability consists of tests of eyesight, safety questions and driving technique. The test will last for about one hour. You must pass all parts of the test at the same time. Blue will prepare you for the part 2, with all the training you need to prepare yourself for this advanced test, including a mock test prior to you taking the real thing.
The eyesight test for the part 2
You must be able to read in good daylight with the aid of glasses or contact lenses if worn, a motor vehicle registration mark containing letters and figures:
- 79 millimetres in height and 50 millimetres wide at a distance of 26.5 metres
- 79 millimetres in height and 57 millimetres wide at a distance of 27.5 metres
If you do not pass the eyesight test, you will not be allowed to take the driving ability element. The test will be marked as a fail and will count towards your three attempts.
Safety questions for the part 2
Your DSA driving examiner will ask you to describe how to perform a check on the condition and safety of three components of the vehicle and demonstrate an actual check on the condition of a further two components.
The components will be chosen from the following list: tyres, steering, brakes, lights, reflectors, direction indicators, audible warning device and the liquids used in the braking system, steering system, engine or elsewhere in the vehicle as a coolant, lubricant, cleaner or otherwise.
Driving Instructors Test of driving ability
The driving instructors test of driving ability is an advanced driving test and a very high standard of competence is required. You must show that you have a thorough knowledge of the principles of good driving and road safety and that you can apply them. You must satisfy the examiner on all or any of the following subjects:
- expert handling of the controls
- use of correct road procedure
- anticipation of the actions of other road users and the taking of appropriate action
- sound judgement of distance, speed and timing
- consideration for the convenience and safety of other road users
The routes used for the driving instructors test will include roads which may carry heavy and/or fast moving traffic; they will also cover a range of road and traffic conditions, including urban and rural conditions.
What else must I be able to do in order to pass?
- You must show the ability to perform any or all of the following manoeuvres including all three of the reversing exercises, during your driving instructors test:
- move away straight ahead or at an angle
- overtake, meet or cross the path of other vehicles and take an appropriate course without undue hesitancy
- turn left-hand and right-hand corners correctly without undue hesitancy
- stop the vehicle in an emergency
- drive the vehicle in reverse gear and whilst doing so enter limited openings to the right and to the left, taking effective all round observation
- turn the vehicle to face in the opposite direction by the use of forward and reverse gears taking effective all-round observation
- reverse park the vehicle into the space behind a parked car, within the space of about two car lengths and close to and parallel with the kerb, taking effective all round observation
- reverse park into a parking bay, with due regard for other vehicles or pedestrians, while taking effective all-round observation
The test vehicle for the part 2
It is your responsibility to provide a car which is properly taxed and insured. It must be a saloon car or hatchback/estate car in good working condition and with seat belts in working order for the part 2 driving instructors test. It must be capable of the normal performance of vehicles of its type with a manual transmission, right-hand steering, a readily adjustable seat with a head restraint for a forward facing front passenger, and an adjustable interior rear view mirror for use by the examiner. The car must not display L plates.
If your vehicle does not meet the above requirements, it will not be possible to carry out the test.
Blue will provide the most appropriate and up to date training to help you prepare for the Part 2 examination. This includes the test vehicle if you are not able to use your own car.
Tags: advanced driver, advanced driving instructor, become a driving instructor, dsa part 2, instructor courses part 2, part 2, part 2 chertsey, part 2 guildford, part 2 reading, part 2 rescue, pass part 2