Taxi Driver Licences

Driving licences for taxis and private hire vehicles

You need a licence to drive a taxi or private hire vehicle.

There are different ways for you apply depending on whether you’ll operate:

Outside London

You must apply to your local council for a licence to drive a taxi or private hire vehicle (PHV).


To apply you must:

  • be able to work legally in the UK
  • have held a full GB or Northern Ireland driving licence – or a full EU driving licence – for at least 12 months

You must also be a ‘fit and proper person’ – which means your background and character will be checked. Your council may carry out an enhanced criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

You may also need:

  • a medical examination
  • a ‘knowledge’ test
  • to take a driving test


Ask your council what the requirements are in your area, including the fees they charge and how to apply.


Ask your council how to renew your licence.

Inside London

You need to apply to Transport for London (TfL) to drive a taxi or private hire vehicle (PHV).

Check with TfL to see if you’re eligible to become a taxi or PHV driver.


Contact TfL to apply for a taxi driver licence.

Contact TfL to apply for a PHV driver licence.

We're Somewhere Near You

Find a Blue School Of Motoring instructor somewhere near you and become one step closer to learning to drive.

Aldershot | Ascot | Bracknell | Camberley | Crowthorne | Farnborough | Frome | Farnham | Reading | Slough | Windsor | Wokingham | Yateley

Recent Blog Posts